Elkhart General History

1909

Elkhart General Hospital officially becomes incorporated.

1913

Elkhart establishes a new hospital, thanks in part to a $10,000 donation from Dr. Franklin Miles.

1919

Training School for Nurses graduates first class.

1942

Henry Konecny launches Radiology Department.

1951

Elkhart General Hospital Auxiliary is established.

1957

Dr. Forest Kendall launches Emergency Services Department with two other physicians. The three doctors take turns manning this first ER 24-hours at a time, relying on whatever gear the doctors brought with them or “borrowed” from other departments.

1965

The hospital’s four-story addition opens, bringing capacity to 310 beds

1966

Elkhart General Hospital Foundation is established.

1972

The first total hip replacement surgery is performed at Elkhart General.

1980

Computerized Tomography (CT) is installed.

1997

Elkhart General performs first open-heart surgery. By year’s end, more than 200 patients undergo open-heart procedures.

2000

Regional Heart and Critical Care Center opens.

2005

West Wing opens. This 3-story addition features centralization of oncology services; an outpatient Women’s Center with mammography services and physicians’ offices; and a birthing unit.

2010

New Electrophysiology (EP) Lab opens, housing state-of-the-art cardiology technology

2014

Elkhart General Hospital named a “Center of Excellence” by the Lung Cancer Alliance and designated a Lung Cancer Screening Center by the American College of Radiology. Elkhart General is one of just two facilities with this designation in Indiana.

2014

Elkhart General performed the first Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement procedures in the region.

2015

Elkhart General Bariatric and Metabolic Institute named a Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accredited Center by the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgeons and the American College of Surgeons.

2016

Opening of 165,000-square-foot Surgery Center.