Chocolate Covered “Caramels” Recipe
Do you have a sweet tooth, but want a healthy alternative to satisfy those pesky cravings? Try Erica’s healthy chocolate covered “caramels” recipe! This healthy, delicious recipe is a great treat for everyone and only requires 3 ingredients! Skip the artificial sugar in desserts and guilt that goes along with it. Indulge with this quick and naturally delicious sweet tooth satisfier.
Chocolate Covered “Caramels”
Yield: 16-18 One inch balls
- 12 oz Dates, pitted and finely chopped (Medjool are best)
- 1/3 Cup Walnuts, finely chopped
- Dark (Bittersweet) Chocolate (60% Cacao)
- Mix dates and walnuts together. Knead it like bread to fully combine. The mixture should be sticky but hold together nicely.
- Wrap a baking sheet with foil. Take about a tablespoon of the mixture and roll into one-inch balls, place onto the foil wrapped baking sheet (this will help with cleanup and will help the mixture not stick to the baking sheet.)
- Place in freezer for about 20 minutes, or until firm but not frozen.
- Remove from freezer and melt dark chocolate in microwave (about 1 cup.) Coat each ball with the chocolate using a fork to help tap off excess.
- Place back on foil wrapped cookie sheet, and place in freezer for another 20 minutes, until chocolate has hardened.
- After the chocolate is hardened, place the caramels in an air-tight container and keep in the refrigerator for up to one week (if they last!)
Save your extra chocolate!
If you have some leftover chocolate, but don’t want to throw it away, drizzle it over some salt-free, butter-free popcorn with a pinch of salt and you have another sweet tooth satisfying snack!