Recipe: Bean Pizzas
1 can beans (white beans, black beans, refried, any type will do)
About 1 cup vegetables, assorted (chop to bite-sized pieces if needed)
2 pieces string cheese, optional
Spices as desired (Mrs. Dash blend, garlic, red pepper flakes, oregano, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 375° If you have parchment paper or a nonstick silicone mat, you can use it to line a baking sheet. This is not necessary, so if you don’t have either, don’t worry.
- Drain and rinse beans if using canned, whole beans. Mash in a bowl with a potato masher. Add in spices as desired a little at a time (garlic, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano and salt (optional) and pepper). Set aside.
- Heat vegetables in microwave or on stove top, not to cook but just to warm.
- Prepare string cheese if needed by chopping or pulling apart.
- Toast bread in toaster or in oven slightly for a few minutes to firm up (slightly brown bread).
- Spread about 1/3-1/2 cup bean paste on each piece of toast, top with vegetables and cheese.
- Heat in oven for about 5 minutes until cheese is melted and the ingredients are heated through.