Memorial Hospital Family Medicine Residency Program
Thank you for your interest in our nationally renowned residency program. As our health care system continues to evolve, there is no question that our specialty will remain pivotal in addressing the health care needs of our country. We're excited about the strong teaching experience we're able to offer our residents, and about the high-caliber students we've attracted to our program over many years. I sincerely hope you will decide to visit us so we may share with you our enthusiasm for the work we're doing here at Memorial Hospital!
There are many reasons to consider Memorial for your residency training. Here are just a few:
- No other residencies: Family Medicine residents are always at the front of the line, getting plenty of hands-on experience.
- Optimal patient volumes: Some programs have difficulty getting enough patients in certain areas to optimize learning, particularly in obstetrics and inpatient pediatrics. Simply stated, we don't.
- A responsibility-oriented approach: Our residents make the transition from being students to being "real doctors" during their residency, not afterwards.
- Special curricula: In addition to our standard 3-year curriculum, we also have a special Rural-Focused Curriculum, a Sports Medicine-Focused Curriculum and an Underserved Focused Curriculum. Many residents choose to participate in our international electives. We also offer a unique and optional four-year curriculum leading to a Master’s in Public Administration Degree from Indiana University. Fellowships in Sports Medicine and Obstetrics are also affiliated with our program.
- Talented, enthusiastic faculty: Our faculty has a wealth of experience, including special expertise in areas such as the law, occupational medicine, sports medicine, geriatrics, obstetrics, procedures, media work and missionary medicine.
- Solid benefits program: In addition to a competitive salary, our residents receive a housing allowance, free food in the hospital, a new laptop computer, a new iPad, CME allowance and an insurance package to cover all of their professional and family needs.
- Medical technology: We've stayed responsibly ahead of the curve with procedures. Residents can get experience with upper and lower endoscopies, exercise treadmill testing, OB ultrasound, musculoskeletal ultrasound and a long list of other office and hospital procedures. We have a state-of-the-art electronic health record, too!
- Family support: While academically rigorous, our program places high value on the health and growth of families within the program. We have many informal get-togethers, and there are many regular social gatherings for all to enjoy. Whether single or married, family time is important and the residency strives to keep our "family" healthy and happy.
- Our community: South Bend is particularly well suited to training in family medicine. Our community and our hospital remain family medicine oriented, and family physicians still provide a broad array of services. Within easy driving distance of Chicago, residents and their families can benefit from "the best of both worlds." The University of Notre Dame enhances the community culturally and through its nationally recognized sports and academic programs.
- Excellent residents: As a result of the preceding factors, plus some others, we've successfully recruited excellent future family physicians to the program from across the nation. Of all the factors mentioned in this letter, we are most proud of this one.
If you’d like to learn more, email us at familymedicine@MemorialResidency.com, view our recruitment guide, or browse our website. Our program uses the ERAS system and only accepts residents through the NRMP match. We’ll start interviews in October and hope to finish by January 15.
We look forward to the opportunity to get to know you better.
Dale A. Patterson, MD, FAAFP
Check us Out on Facebook