Beacon Heart Failure Team
About five million Americans have heart failure – a chronic condition where your heart’s ability to pump blood is reduced. The result: a lack of oxygen that causes you to feel tired, mentally less alert and weak. Symptoms could also include shortness of breath, swelling in your legs, feet, stomach or lungs. The good news is for many, heart function can be improved and symptoms reduced. The Beacon is here to help you accomplish just that.
The goal of our program is to improve quality, prevent unnecessary emergency room visits and hospital admissions, promote consistency in use of Heart Failure medications and promote better self-management through patient education and lifestyle changes.
The Beacon Heart Failure Clinic, operated out of Elkhart General Hospital, is a complete program focusing on early treatment of heart failure to prevent worsening of symptoms. The team of pharmacists and nurses work closely with your cardiologist to optimize your treatment goals and provide patient-centered care.
If you have been hospitalized for heart failure, you will be visited by the heart failure navigator nurse prior to discharge for education and coordination of post-hospitalization care and appointments. Nurse care coordinators will also be available to you following discharge to ensure you are doing well at home between follow-up visits.
Key components of our program include:
- One-on-one personalized care from a clinical pharmacist and a registered nurse who are specialized in heart failure management
- Comprehensive education and counseling on chronic disease management tailored to you
- Medication management, including adjusting medications to manage symptoms
- Education and guidance on self-care behaviors that include daily weight monitoring, regular exercise, low-sodium diet, and knowing your symptoms
- Prompt follow-up after hospitalization or periods of instability
- Care coordination with your cardiologist and/or primary care provider
- Assistance in monitoring the signs and symptoms of heart failure and fluid overload to avoid emergency room visits or hospitalizations
- Easy access to our heart failure team with quick responses to questions and concerns
- Implantation and monitoring of heart failure status using CardioMEMS™ HF System