Heart, Vascular & Stroke Care at Beacon
When you receive heart, vascular and stroke care at Beacon Health System, you get a team of specialists dedicated to your health and recovery.
Your team may include:
- Cardiologist: A cardiologist specializes in caring for people with conditions and diseases of the heart and blood vessels. Cardiologists diagnose and treat many diseases, including coronary heart disease, angina, arrhythmias, heart attack and heart failure
- Interventional Cardiologist: Interventional cardiologists specialize in imaging and other diagnostic techniques to evaluate blood flow and pressure in the coronary arteries and chambers of the heart. Interventional cardiology also includes minimally invasive surgical procedures to treat abnormalities that impair the function of the cardiovascular system.
- Cardiothoracic Surgeon: A medical doctor who specializes in surgical procedures of the heart, lungs, esophagus and other organs in the chest.
- Interventional Radiologist: In interventional radiology, doctors interpret your medical images and perform minimally invasive surgical procedures through small incisions in the body.
- Radiologist: A medical doctor who specializes in diagnosing and treating disease and injury using medical imaging techniques such as x-rays, computed tomography (CT) scans, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), nuclear medicine, positron emission tomography (PET), fusion imaging and ultrasound.
- Neurologist: Specializes in caring for people with diseases and conditions of the brain and nervous system, including the spinal cord, nerves, muscles and related blood vessels. Neurologists diagnose and treat many diseases, including stroke, Alzheimer’s disease, headaches and seizures.
- Vascular Surgeon: Highly trained specialists who treat diseases of the vascular system. Your blood vessels — arteries carrying oxygen-rich blood and veins carrying blood back to the heart – are the roadways of your circulatory system. Without smoothly flowing blood, your body cannot function. Conditions such as hardening of the arteries can create “traffic jams” in your circulatory system, obstructing the flow of blood to any part of the body.
- Care Coordinators/Navigators: Experts who direct you and your family to resources that help you manage your care. Beacon Health System has specialty care coordinators/navigators in Heart Failure, COPD, Stroke, Acute MI and Structural Heart. All of our care coordinators/navigators are nurses that specialize in these areas.
- Nurses: You will encounter many nurses throughout your care and treatment: in physician offices, in procedural areas and throughout your stay in the hospital. Your nurses are trained in the specialty and level of care you need.
- Heart & Vascular Technologists: Radiology technologists who specialize in the cardiac cath lab and interventional radiology departments. They assist your physician and nurses with your procedure.
- Echosonographers: Trained technologists that specialize in echocardiograms or ultrasound of the heart.
- Radiology Technologists: These are the health care professionals who perform diagnostic imaging procedures such as X-ray examinations, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and CT scans. Some of them specialize in specific techniques such as cardiovascular-interventional radiography, mammography or sonography.
- Dieticians: Clinicians who offer guidance for eating to enhance recovery and guide you to a healthy diet for your medical needs.
- Physical & Occupational Therapists: Specialists who help you regain your strength and ability to perform tasks.
Case Manager/Social Worker and Discharge Planners: Professionals who help you prepare for the care you need after you leave the hospital.