Memorial Childbirth Classes
Visit our Classes and Events page for a complete list of class description and to register for a class. If you have questions please call 574.647.3540 to learn more. You can also download a summary of Perinatal Classes (PDF) scheduled this year.
- Preparing for Childbirth: Learn about pregnancy, the labor process, delivery, common medical interventions and relaxation techniques through a variety of hands-on experience.
- Preparing for Breastfeeding Success: Learn about the production of breast milk, the importance of skin-to-skin contact, effect latch, positioning, supply and demand of milk and much more. Register for this class.
- Online Breastfeeding Class for Parents: Watch these free online classes intended for parents.
- American Heart Association Infant and Child CPR, AED and Choking: Learn instruction on how to respond to emergencies before professional help arrives.
- After Baby Comes: Learn how to soothe and care for your new baby at home.
- Super Siblings! Children ages 3 to 7 will learn what it’s like to be a big brother or sister. They will learn how to safely hold and touch a baby, how home life will change and toy safety.
- Childbirth E-Class: Take an interactive online childbirth class at your convenience and learn everything you need to know about childbirth, including comfort techniques during labor, medical procedures, tips for partners and much more. Register for this class or watch the online demo. Three months of access to all class content for only $75.
Meet Our Educators
Michelle is a R.N. certified in inpatient obstetrics in the Childbirth Unit, A Certified Childbirth Educator, and a Certified Lactation Specialist. A graduate of Ivy Tech Community College, she has worked at Memorial Hospital since 2006. Her dream to become a labor/delivery nurse at Memorial came true after much hard work and dedication. Michelle’s goal is to make every woman/support person feel special and confident about their labor and birth experience.
Gemma is an LPN, Lamaze Certified Childbirth Educator and International Board Certified Lactation Consultant. She also serves as a birth/breastfeeding educator at Memorial’s Family Medicine Residency Clinic, a position she has held for the last 10 years. A licensed practical nurse since 1980, she graduated from Arlington Memorial Hospital School of Vocational Nursing in Texas. Gemma has worked in a variety of nursing jobs, including childbirth unit, mother baby, pediatrics and family practice. She currently works at the Breastfeeding Support Group and is passionate about teaching how women are wonderfully created to give birth and to feed their babies. Gemma is married with three grown children and 5 grandkids (so far).
Please contact Michelle Wright, Perinatal Education Coordinator, at 574.647.3540 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Classes are led by educators who are specialized nurses in Lamaze (healthy birth practices for safe childbirth and labor), inpatient obstetrics and lactation.